08 October 2008

hot stuff

Before I begin blog-o-mania later today, I wanted to share this link with everyone before I forgot. The kaleidoscope that was given to the house parents to share with our orphans was a donation from me, purchased from a fair trade shop-- meaning that it was handcrafted, a fair price was paid for the product and for the labor (i.e. no sweatshops), and the health of the environment was a priority in the production process. Fair trade means dignity, respect, sustainability, education, hope, joy, and a fairer world.

Because I know our team members are BIG shoppers, I thought I would direct you to my favorite fair trade retailer. Keep Ten Thousand Villages in mind for this year's holiday gifts-- not only will your friends and family be receiving a unique handmade piece, but you will make a strong, socially conscious statement in the process.

Also, keep checking the blog for the "Kenya Project Collection 2008." I hope to have a limited quantity of holiday ornaments (crafted from my Kenyan soda bottle cap collection), necklaces and earrings (created by our Standard 7 students at MPA), and prints (from both Amy and me) in various sizes available within a few weeks and just in time for Christmas!

Thanks!

tnick

No comments: